In This Week’s Edition:
- FDA GMO Education; New “Feed Your Mind” Material
- USDA Invests Over $46M in Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
- USDA Announces Funding Availability to Expand Meat and Poultry Processing Options for Underserved Producers and Tribal Communities
- 2022 Food Code Adoption Report
- Updated Dietary Supplement Ingredient Directory
- Public Meeting: Good Manufacturing Practices for Cosmetic Products
- FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
- FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
- FDA Import Alerts
- FDA Warning Letters
FDA GMO Education; New “Feed Your Mind” Material
FDA released new “Feed Your Mind” educational materials to provide science-based information on genetically modified organisms (GMOs). “Feed Your Mind” is an education initiative launched in 2020 to help increase consumer understanding of GMOs and was developed in partnership with the USDA and the EPA.
USDA Invests Over $46M in Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
USDA announced an investment of more than $46 million in the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education program, which has funded farmer-driven grants and grassroots education programs intending to be climate smart.
USDA Announces Funding Availability to Expand Meat and Poultry Processing Options for Underserved Producers and Tribal Communities
USDA announced the availability of up to $125 million through two new grant programs that will create more options for meat and poultry farmers by investing in independent, local meat and poultry processing projects intended to increase competition and enhance the resiliency of the food supply chain.
2022 Food Code Adoption Report
Since 2016, CFSAN’s Office of Food Safety, Retail Food Protection Staff has been publishing annual reports by analyzing and compiling the information gathered by FDA’s Retail Food Specialists on adoption of the Food Code by the states. See the full report here.
Updated Dietary Supplement Ingredient Directory
The Dietary Supplement Ingredient Directory is a resource where the public can look up ingredients used in products marketed as dietary supplements and quickly find what the FDA has said about that ingredient and whether the agency has taken any action with regard to the ingredient. FDA has updated the Dietary Supplement Ingredient Directory. See the updated directory here.
Public Meeting: Good Manufacturing Practices for Cosmetic Products
FDA will hold a virtual public meeting Good Manufacturing Practices for Cosmetic Products Listening Session on June 1, 2023, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM ET. The purpose of the listening session is to consult cosmetics manufacturers, including smaller businesses and contract manufacturers, consumer organizations, and other experts to inform Agency efforts to develop regulations to establish good manufacturing practices for facilities that manufacture, or process, cosmetic products distributed in the United States.
FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
This week’s updates are:
- For the outbreak of Salmonella Infantis (ref #1141), an onsite inspection and sample collection and analysis has been initiated.
- For the outbreak of Salmonella Hartford (ref #1144), the case count has increased from 53 to 54 cases. This outbreak has ended and the investigation has closed, with no vehicle identified.
- For the outbreak of hepatitis A virus (ref #1143), an onsite inspection has been initiated.
FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
- No new updates
FDA Import Alerts
The latest FDA import alerts include food products due to the presence of salmonella, foreign establishments refusing FDA inspection, and more.
FDA Warning Letters
|FuZion Vapor LLC
|Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act/Adulterated/Misbranded
|Abbott Point of Care Canada Limited
|Investigational Device Exemptions (IDE)/Premarket Approval Application (PMA) Adulterated Device
|North American Diagnostics, LLC
|Medical Device/Adulterated/Misbranded/Lacks PMA and/or 510(k)
|Biloxi Freezing & Processing, Inc.
|Seafood HACCP/CGMP for Foods/Adulterated/Insanitary Conditions
|Eco Lips, Inc.
|Belmar Pharma Solutions, Drug Depot, LLC., dba APS Pharmacy
|Compounding Pharmacy/Adulterated Drug Products
|ByPro Nutrition LLC
|Unapproved New Drugs/Misbranded
|SCS Direct, Inc.
|Zermat International S.A. de C.V.
|La Aldea Distributors Inc
|Foreign Supplier Verification Program (FSVP)