In This Week’s Edition:
- FDA Plant-based Milk Guidance
- FNS Proposes to Allow WIC Benefits to be Used in eCommerce Transactions
- FDA Releases List of 2023 Priority Guidance Topics for Foods Program
- AMS Withdraws Proposed Termination of Onion Marketing Order
- USDA Provides $59 Million in Grants to Independent Meat and Poultry Processors
- FDA Highlights Food Program Achievements in 2022
- FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
- FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
- FDA Import Alerts
- FDA Warning Letters
FDA Plant-based Milk Guidance
The guidance recommends that plant-based milks with different nutrient compositions than dairy milk bear a disclosure statement on the principal display panel that states “Contains lower amounts of [nutrient name(s)] than milk.”
FNS Proposes to Allow WIC Benefits to be Used in eCommerce Transactions
FNS and USDA proposes to remove barriers to online ordering and internet-based transactions in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) through this rulemaking. This is expected to improve the WIC shopping experience while increasing equity and access to nutritious foods for WIC participants, thus positively impacting nutrition security.
FDA Releases List of 2023 Priority Guidance Topics for Foods Program
CFSAN and OFPR released a list of draft and final guidance topics that are a priority for the FDA Foods Program to complete during the next 12 months. The agency anticipates it will publish many of these documents by January 2024.
AMS Withdraws Proposed Termination of Onion Marketing Order
AMS is withdrawing the proposed rule to terminate the Federal marketing order regulating the handling of onions grown in South Texas and the rules and regulations issued thereunder, and the proposed corresponding change to the onion import regulation in response to a second producer referendum and comments on the proposed rule.
USDA Provides $59 Million in Grants to Independent Meat and Poultry Processors
USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack announced $59 million to increase independent meat and poultry processing capacity.
FDA Highlights Food Program Achievements in 2022
FDA details their 2022 achievements on food safety, infant formula, innovation, and nutrition.
FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
This week’s updates are:
- For the outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes (ref # 1123), FDA has initiated a traceback investigation. This investigation is ongoing and additional information will be provided as it become available.
FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
FDA Import Alerts
The latest FDA import alerts include illegal/undeclared colors, food products due to presence of mycotoxins, importers who are not in compliance with FSVP, and more.
FDA Warning Letters
|Desert Defense, LLC|
|Unapproved New Animal Drug Products|
|Foreign Supplier Verification Program (FSVP)|