In This Week’s Edition:
- USDA Organic Regulations: USDA Proposes Rule to Require Importers of Organics to be Certified and Have Written Verification Program
- Members of the 2025 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Announced
- APHIS Proposes to Require Use of Electronic Identification Eartags as Official Identification in Cattle and Bison
- FSIS Updates Directive on Prior Labeling Approval
- FSIS Guideline for Label Approval
- Amendments to the Marketing Order for Oranges, Grapefruit, Tangerines, and Pummelos Grown in Florida
- FDA Releases Fact Sheet, Reminds Produce Stakeholders of Upcoming End of Intended Enforcement Discretion Period for Harvest and Post-Harvest Agricultural Water
- FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
- FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
- FDA Import Alerts
- FDA Warning Letters
USDA Organic Regulations: USDA Proposes Rule to Require Importers of Organics to be Certified and Have Written Program
The USDA Agricultural Marketing Service has proposed a rule overhauling the organic regulations. The proposed USDA organic regulations would require verification activities throughout the supply chain. The proposed rule is available here.
Members of the 2025 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Announced
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra and U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced the appointment of 20 nationally scientists to serve on the 2025 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.
APHIS Proposes Requiring Electronic Identification Eartags as Official Identification in Cattle and Bison
USDA is proposing to amend the animal disease traceability regulations to require that eartags be both visually and electronically readable in order to be recognized for use as official eartags for interstate movement of cattle and bison covered under the regulations.
FSIS Updates Directive on Prior Labeling Approval
The directive provides instructions to inspection program personnel (IPP) for conducting the General Labeling task in the Public Health Information System. FSIS is reissuing this directive to align with the expansion of generic labelling approval eligibility established by the final rule, “Prior Label Approval System: Expansion of Generic Label Approval”, which is effective as of March 20, 2023.
FSIS Releases Updated Guideline for Label Approval
The updated guidance helps establishments determine whether their labels must be submitted to FSIS Labeling and Program Delivery Staff for approval.
Amendments to the Marketing Order for Oranges, Grapefruit, Tangerines, and Pummelos Grown in Florida
This rulemaking proposes amendments to Marketing Order 905, which regulates the handling of oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, and pummelos grown in Florida. The proposed amendments reduce the size of the Citrus Administrative Committee and lower quorum requirements, revise the nomination and selection processes, remove the requirement to allocate committee seats on the basis of volume from each district, and add a new section to provide the Committee authority to receive voluntary contributions for promotion and research projects.
FDA Releases Fact Sheet, Reminds Produce Stakeholders of Upcoming End of Intended Enforcement Discretion Period for Harvest and Post-Harvest Agricultural Water
The intended enforcement discretion period for the harvest and post-harvest agricultural water provisions for covered produce (other than sprouts) in the Produce Safety Rule ends on January 26, 2023 for all businesses other than small and very small businesses. To help prepare growers, the FDA has released a fact sheet with questions and answers on the requirements. Find the fact sheet here.
FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
This week’s updates are:
- An outbreak advisory has been issued for the outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes linked to enoki mushrooms (reference #1127).
FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
FDA Import Alerts
The latest FDA import alerts include pesticides, foreign establishments refusing FDA inspection, foods containing undeclared/illegal colors, and more.
FDA Warning Letters
|HIS Enterprise Inc dba Adam’s Secret USA, LLC|
|Finished Pharmaceuticals/Unapproved New Drug/Misbranded|
|Optum Infusion Services 308 LLC|
|Compounding Pharmacy/Adulterated Drug Products|