In This Week’s Edition:
- Food Additives Permitted for Direct Addition to Food for Human Consumption; Vitamin D3
- Summer Food Service Program; 2023 Reimbursement Rates
- FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
- FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
- FDA Import Alerts
- FDA Warning Letters
Food Additives Permitted for Direct Addition to Food for Human Consumption; Vitamin D3
FDA is amending the food additive regulations to provide for the safe use of vitamin D3 as a nutrient supplement in breakfast cereals and grain-based bars (e.g., breakfast bars, granola bars, rice cereal bars), and to update the reference for the Vitamin D3 specifications. FDA is taking this action in response to a petition filed by Kellogg Company.
Summer Food Service Program; 2023 Reimbursement Rates
The USDA notice informs the public of the annual adjustments to the reimbursement rates for meals served in the Summer Food Service Program for Children. These adjustments address changes in the Consumer Price Index, as required under the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act. The 2023 reimbursement rates are presented as a combined set of rates to highlight simplified cost accounting procedures. The 2023 rates are also presented individually, as separate operating and administrative rates of reimbursement, to show the effect of the Consumer Price Index adjustment on each rate.
FDA CORE Outbreak Investigation Status Update
This week’s updates are:
- On December 30, 2022, FDA issued an advisory for the outbreak Salmonella Typhimurium (reference #1137) linked to alfalfa sprouts. SunSprout Enterprises issued a voluntary recall on December 29, 2022 and later expanded their recall on the same day. FDA has also initiated traceback, an on-site inspection, and sample collection and analysis.
FSIS Updates Lists of Foreign Establishments Eligible to Export to U.S.
FDA Import Alerts
The latest FDA import alerts include imported illegal/undeclared colors, foods that contain undeclared major allergens, foreign establishments refusing inspection, and more.
FDA Warning Letters
|Chevaline Investments, LLC d/b/a VaporCore
|Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act/Adulterated/Misbranded
|Superior Glove Works, Ltd.
|Unlawful Sale of Unapproved and Misbranded Drugs to United States Consumers Over the Internet